Client: Central Highlands Water
Central Highlands Water
Contract Sum: $1.4M
- Demolition of existing block stone spillway wall
- Installation of 80 no. 1.5m diameter sand filter piles
- Installation of dewatering spears
- Excavation of 3000m3 of saturated silt
- Construction of sand and gravel filters
- Screening of rockfill required to complete the project at an offsite quarry location
- Construction of rock embankments with approx. 80,000 tonne of imported rockfill
- Working with live waterway
- Remote location
- Extreme weather conditions
- Strict construction specification
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Talbot Reservoir Spillway Upgrade
Talbot Reservoir is located on rural farmland at Clunes-Evansford Road, Evansford, Victoria 3371. The reservoir forms part of the Maryborough Water Supply System and services the town of Maryborough and its surrounding communities. Constructed in 1868, the reservoir has a storage capacity of 846Ml behind two embankments.
A dam safety inspection found that the spillway channel had failed in places and required repair.
Entracon was engaged to repair the complete failure to the dam spillway wall. Works consisted of excavation, concrete wall construction using a jump form methodology. The wall was then backfilled with clay and rip rap to provide protection to the site for future storm events.